Monday, February 25, 2008

Portrait Project

I realize its easier for me to compartmentalize my writing into projects. Right now the Thesis project is dominating my writing time, but there are 4 or 5 other projects that really have me excited. One is a series of portraits of my friends/acquaintances here in Brooklyn. Not painted portraits but "word portraits" as a friend suggested I call them. The idea is to have the subject physically in front of me while I write, and for the genesis of the poem to come out of some insight into or energy recieved from the sitting subject. I'm shooting for minimal revision and a sense of "capturing" the moment of the sitting, the interplay of themes and psyches that would create the nexus for art in that moment. The sitter then gets a chance to interact with the poem in some way I havent thought up yet, maybe colors on a printed copy, or something of that nature. I am very enthused by it, and although i haven't had the chance to physically sit people down (thesis), i have completed some preliminaries, or "studies" of a few people (with their permission of course). I will post them here.

1 comment:

dkm said...

Hi Aaron,

It's nice to see more of your work.

Dan Muhlestein