Friday, July 4, 2008

Fourth of July!

One of my friends approached me and said he liked this blog specifically for the absence of pictures. I realized I just spelled out "fourth" in this title. Probably a good indication of how verbose I can be. Moving on,

Happy 4th. Thanks people/person for your comments on the elizabeth story. and thanks for the cookies. I have rewritten the ending of the story and will repost it soon. I still feel kinda weird about the McCarthy passages.

Last fourth of July I wandered to Coney Island for the hot dog eating contest. I was a witness to the gastronomic ghastliness of Joey Chesnut setting the world record. Its a spectacle, but inside it make you feel a little bit like a spectator to the microcosm of American excess. Today is significant for me on a lot of levels though, as last Fourth of July is the first real event I associate with moving to Brooklyn. Somewhere last month I passed the year mark here, but this kind of symbolically marks that anniversary for me. and all the retrospection that goes with it. Its been a hard year in some areas and a great one in others. As a celebration of the holiday, here are some good bands I have been listening to over the last couple of weeks. when I learn how to embed mp3's I'll be really cool, but until then, look em up on myspace or something.

JaneVain and the Dark Matter
Oxford Collapse
The weight (kindof alt country. I really dig)
Jay Reatard
Death Vessel

-aa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My blog is too wordy and lengthy to not contain pictures. And I have two friends that I compete with for oddest pictures.

Happy Brooklyn Anniversary! Well, I'm glad you moved here at least. And I don't mean that to sound slightly gay. I'm glad you stuck around. More nerdery to come!

I should check out the Oxford Collapse more. And I don't know JaneVain and the Dark Matter at all. Interesting.

I meant that sentiment to be blatantly gay in case you were wondering.