Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Intro to Common Bloggin'

So I just finished a pretty extensive draft of my MA thesis and its time to come up for air. Here is what my schedule has been over the last few months:

545AM: wake up (on weekdays) to teach an early morning seminary class for my church

730AM: come back and nap.

10AM: wake up (again) and take the subway or walk to one of 3 rotating libraries and write all day. the three libraries (in case you want to map it) are the Park slope branch of the NYPL, which is the closest and smallest--the main brooklyn branch of the NYPL, which is in walking distance but isnt very electronics friendly--and the 5th avenue (think ghostbusters) branch of the NYPL in Manhattan. I prefer the Manhattan one in every respect. The huge reading room in incredible, it allows me time to
marinate (get my thoughts ready for writing) on the F-train, it has plugs for my laptop, and it doesnt have wireless internet, which makes me 100% more efficient. I'm becoming a regular.

After the libraries close I usually come home and watch some tivoed sporting event from the day before or go to a movie or something with friends. I actually read a lot.
I have a bunch of friends in writing programs and I've realized that I am missing out on not being in direct contact with continuing education. I have to push myself a lot cause stasis is regression when it comes to my writing education...so I read a lot..mostly authors I admire or would like to emulate. books read in the last month include:

'the road' by Mcarthy
'some ether' poems by nick flynn
'halls of fame" essays by john D'gata (again)
'X' poems by James Galvin (again)
'Survivor" by chuck Palahaunik(sp)

Yes, I am painfully aware that they are all men. Other odds and ends include an amazing 80's instruction book called "PLAY SQUASH", which is all about playing squash. The book is so enthusiastic and so few people actually play squash...i love it. I've been reading Flannery O'connor (a woman!) and Sherwood anderson stories from anthologies. I also read from the LDS Journal of Discourses, mostly Brigham Young discourses (I've graduated from my Joseph Smith kick onto brother Brigham). Finally i read a TON of blogs through Google reader, mostly sports related
stuff, but also a lot of blogs of friends and former classmates.

No comments: